Thursday, May 10, 2012

Mind over matter and Beliefs

Image courtesy of Firetongue81 on google images search Over the last few weeks I've noticed that various videos and youtube clips are appearing, demonstrating the sheer strength of the human spirit in overcoming adversity. There are plenty of such stories out there but the two in particular that reached out and spoke to me this week were Claire Lomas & Arthur Boorman. Claire is paralysed from the chest down after a riding accident and finished the London Marathon after 16days. Arthur a disabled veteran from the Gulf War, began embarking on a yoga practice that helped him walk and run without crutches. I'm going to speak from my own personal truth here as everyone is going to have a different connection or experience with it. What struck me about both stories was the sheer determination to overcome their challenges and the way that a belief can change and inspire them to act. Claires belief in being able to complete it led to others believing in her and her family and team around her supported her in this belief. At the end of the marathon, as she hadn't completed it on the day the organisers didn't offer up a medal to her. However, a runner that did complete on the day came forward and offered his. This type of generosity coupled with an against the odds story of overcoming a massive challenge was extremely moving. It completely got to me and I was moved to act in some way. All I felt I could do at that moment was donate to charity, so I did. The second story of Arthur however, comes at a time when I got up to another rainy day in May, wondering when could I get out and go for a walk and felt decidedly groggy and fed up. Yoga has been an on/off practice for a couple of years and despite feeling good after doing it, it's always last on my list to do. So here is Arthur Boorman. An overweight disabled veteran with damaged legs, who accepted the diagnosis of not being able to walk without support again as 'fact'. He sought help. He didn't get it as no one believed that he could do yoga with his condition. Finally, one yoga teacher who met him felt compelled to help although he wasn't sure how. It wasn't easy, but the results in the video are amazing. Here, once again, is a demonstration of how belief in yourself can move mountains. What really stood out for me was that it only took 1 person to show a belief in Arthur for him to become inspired to change. Louise Hay has many books about being able to heal yourself, and how supressed unexpressed emotional pain can lead to physical problems,illnesses and disease. I think both the stories above, for me anyway, wake me up to the power of a belief and the true strength of the human spirit. It's easy to forget how strong we actually are when limbs are working fine and the challenges in our lives are few. Wouldn't it make sense to wake up now, and use these wonderful gifts to change around anything that isn't working? In the meantime, I am eternally grateful for those facing challenges that are willing to share their journey to assist with the worlds awakening. It is not only a gift but it is a true testament and timely reminder of what the human spirit can be and can do. I for one get humbled by it everytime and get inspired to drop my limiting beliefs. (Arthurs video is in the side bar section for youtube)

1 comment:

Ramya Haider said...

that is very true, if you do not have a strong faith within yourself you can never achieve even little objectives in life, and it is very right to say that only those things are achieveable on which mind and beliefs work together..

www.instituteforcoaching.com